Friday, July 17, 2009

God Wants You To Know Facebook Applications



God Wants You To Know Facebook Applications

Many of you who have read me regularly know my beefs with Facebook. It's all about poking and applications and canned quizzes. My opinion is self expression takes talent and effort and not applications. I'm sorry but the application "Which Boyzone member are you?" makes me question the entire on line social networking genre. Let me focus on a particular application the "God Wants You to Know" application. I do very few Facebook applications if any. This one says click here and Read Your Message From God. It's a pretty tall order for a Facebook application. Then whatever it is , it has to be spread to your contacts. (click on the picture above to see the full pic)

My Strategic Management teacher says the same thing over and over again because it's true. There is no such thing as a new need. Products will change but needs will not. If you want to listen to God do the same things people have been doing for centuries. Go to a service, read the Bible or Holy Book of your faith and pray. I don't need an on line application claiming to SPEAK for God. Some you might recall that I was mistaken for God two weeks ago. Believe me, I am not him or her. Let's review the Ten Commandments shall we? Or at the least the first two.

1. I am the LORD your God, you shall have no other gods before me.

2, You shall not take the Name of the LORD your God in vain.

I don't know about you guys but if you just meditate on the spirit of those two Commandments, you may have an issue with an html application claiming God wants you to hear something it will tell you. Maybe the message is based on something good but to claim to speak for God other than direct reference to Scripture is something else. People want to declare or rejoice in their faith fine. I just don't understand these things that claim to speak FOR God.

My suggestion for those who want to spread their faith is add a bit of ' you' into it. Something that Facebook does not seem to excel in. Which might explain it's popularity. Since it's all clicks and applications. Take a religious passage or subject you might like then expound it. Research on line and find (ghast) points of view different from yours. Justify your point of view and add experience.

So instead of this canned experience not unlike (double negative) opening a fortune cookie in a Chinese restaurant, what you are doing is internalizing the Word then passing part of yourself and part of your comprehension on. But that takes a bit of work and time and thought. There is the gotcha.

Just my opinion. And it was not generated by a Facebook application.



Ed


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would love to ad a Facebook App to my page called "Message from the Devil" that should teach them.
But alas the Devil,who in Marilyn Mansons opinion and mine did more for religion than God does. And they dont have that one yet.