Monday, November 9, 2009

The Queen Arrives in Vancouver March 1983

Royal visit 1983

The more removed I am from my youth and my time in Canada, the more precious stuff like this is. This was March 1983. I was Grade 10. Our band conductor Gordon Olson (RIP) told us that we will look back twenty years from now and still remember that day. Well, it's twenty six years later and dog gone it , he was right. That's the Beefeater Band playing in the background around the first minute of the video. Playing O Canada. I think it's an honor to be bringing your video since I have been trying to look online for documentation of this day



http://www.vancouverhistory.ca/chronology1983.htm

The Royal Yacht Britannia sailed into Vancouver with the Queen and Prince Philip aboard. At B.C. Place the Queen, in an international hookup, invited the world to Expo 86. On this same voyage, she turned the first shovel of soil in the construction of Canada Place. Enthusiasm over the prospect of a world exposition was tempered by nagging unemployment, with, among other gloomy news, word that none of five shipyards on the North Shore (Burrard Yarrows, Vancouver Shipyards, BelAire, Allied and Matsumoto) had any new shipbuilding contracts pending. It is expected 2,500 workers will be unemployed by July.


I am not sure if there is video on line other than this one. Granted what's left of my blog audience has been subject to video of me doing the craziest things. Lousy or not, its part of my past.

Here the Queen is laying the foundation for what will later be Canada Place. That's us playing O'Canada in the background. More video of this later on.


Ed




No comments: