Sunday, May 17, 2009

Its Better To Look Good Than To Be Good





Read and listen (attachment below or click here) to this post and you will learn about :
  • vanity
  • teamwork
  • style vs. substance
  • Billy Crystal does not want to feel good.
  • Tiger Woods depends on his 'team'
  • Makeup demonstrations in my office
  • Dictionary definitions
  • Failure of 'Ballers' in the NBA playoffs.
  • David Stern's failure in the immediate post Michale Jordan period.
  • Leadership





Once again I present you a six minute segment that I immensely enjoyed from Colin Cowherd of ESPN Radio. It's a lecture about life that masquerades as a sports story. It was aired in ESPN. It's actually a topic I have visited many times in my blog. The plain fact of the matter is you all know somebody like this. My title was a play on a catch phrase that Billy Crystal had in a recurring Saturday Night Live skit. Which just about says everything.

Trent Dilfer ( forgive me with this next paragraph non sports fans but I am making a point) will never make the Hall of Fame and played in only one All Star game. BUT he has something some hall of famers do not have. That is he won a championship. Because eventually he learned something. Something you rarely hear. He understood his job was not to look good himself. His job was to make others look good. It's very possible to look good as an individual player and still lose. It is very hard for a whole bunch of guys on the team to look good and the team still lose.

Golf is an individual sport but look at the best Tiger Woods. He still gives credit to his swing coach Butch Harmon and to his caddie Steve Williams and most of all to his dad. http://www.pgatour.com/r/tiger.victoryroom.circle/index.html

I saw John Maxwell when he came to Manila back in 2004. First thing he said. It is impossible to accomplish something great without a team. Jesus still needed the Apostles to carry on his work and his Word. I can't remember if Maxwell himself that (he is a minister ) but it sounds like something he would say. An example Maxwell did give was his last book launch. He spent half the night thanking all that made the book possible. Team is important. http://johnmaxwellonleadership.com/2009/04/14/crises-call-for-critical-choices/


There are people in your life who are vain and could care less how other people around them look. No sense showing this to them since it is my experience short sighted people rarely read anything of insight. I am not saying my words are insightful but hopefully the Colin audio and the links are insightful.


Listen to Colin's verbal essay on all these basketball players who only care about individual razzle dazzle as opposed to team success. Colin mentions Steve 'Franchise" Francis. A drama I saw play out while I was living in Vancouver. Colin's main point "it's amazing when you consider others. If you don't see attachment below then click here.

I know somebody in the office who I find vain. Known for always having to excuse herself to go the washroom and use the mirror. After working there 7 1/2 years all I know about her is she is the one that organized cosmetic demonstration for other office women. Anyway based on what I told you , you know that she likes looking at herself in the mirror and she organized a cosmetics event.





I am not a fan of cosmetics which might be as redundant as saying Lindsay Lohan is not a fan of sobriety. Still, since I am in search of meaning in life and hopefully by continuing to document my observations I will tap into it a bit more. Remember the main theme of this post is style vs. substance. Let's go to the dictionary and look at the definition of 'Cosmetic'

Cosmetic serving an esthetic rather than a useful purpose; "cosmetic fenders on cars"; "the buildings were utilitarian rather than decorative"

I then decided to look up superficial in the dictionary.


Superficial
# concerned with or comprehending only what is apparent or obvious; not deep or penetrating emotionally or intellectually; "superficial similarities ...
# of, affecting, or being on or near the surface; "superficial measurements"; "the superficial area of the wall"; "a superficial wound"
# of little substance or significance; "a few superficial editorial changes"; "only trivial objections"
# Superficial is a general term meaning "regarding the surface", often metaphorically. Both in the literal as in the metaphorical sense the term has ...
# Shallow, lacking substance; At face value; pertaining to the surface; being near the surface

You see the relationship?


This is not my first post on vanity and it will not be the last. Take from it what you will.

Ed

Related links
http://www.couplescompany.com/Advice/Marriage/Career/Sports3.htm
http://www.pgatour.com/r/tiger.victoryroom.circle/index.html
http://johnmaxwellonleadership.com/2009/04/14/crises-call-for-critical-choices/
http://cornholiogogs.multiply.com/tag/cosmetic












No comments: