Monday, December 13, 2010

Customers Pay Your Salary











Record Lady
Record Lady
She's got the cutest little cartridge
That you've ever seen
She's a phonographic dream



Lyle Lovett "Record Lady" from the album I Love Everybody (1994)




I will never understand people who work for an establishment that are face to face with someone who wants to spend their money there and they treat that person almost nonchalantly.

Such a thing happened to me tonight. I am quite the fan of Western movies. The other day I saw two classics of the genre at my local retail store. O Music (formerly Odyssey) in Greenbelt 1 Makati. They were The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
and Gunfight at the O.K. Corral . I walked in that store tonight fully intending to buy them. Could not find it at first so I asked. I told them I saw it Saturday and was looking for it. The manager may have asked one or two people and about 20 seconds later told me they did not have it.

I spent the next twenty minutes looking for it myself with my goal being threefold: 1) I want that rare movie. 2) I wanted to shove it in that manager's face and 3) this would make a half decent blog.












Unless you think I am the type to forge a receipt to make a point , well here it is proving that I did find it. I also scanned the movie jacket. I obscured the people ringing in the sale because they did me nor their firm any wrong. It's their too casual manager who could not be bothered. I won't name names because maybe she conveniently went on her break when she saw me head for the counter. Anyway for my unnamed adversary here are a few common tips that may have never been taught to you:

  • A customer asking questions is a gift. They are exhibiting what is known as buying signs.
  • A customer looking for something in your store might actually buy what they are looking for.
  • The more people spend in your store the more likely you will keep your job.
  • As a manager, you set example to your staff.
  • People who come in to your store in this age of pirated DVDs and high speed downloads are gifts.



The rest of you don't need me to tell you that.


Ed



http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056217/ The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance (1962)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050468/ Gunfight at the O.K. Corral (1957)

http://www.mediafire.com/?t0schm3q44c66b2 (Record Lady)


1 comment:

Shivaram said...

A customer asking questions is a gift. They are exhibiting what is known as buying signs. !

Beautifully said.

The pity is, retail staff are either not trained to understand this or just not educated to know it themselves.

Ultimately, the retail staff might leave or even lose her job, but the business could be gone too !

Great point even if it was 6 years ago !