Sunday, December 12, 2010

3 Movies in 24 Hours




Late Friday night I caught up with the latest season of Dexter. I then did something very rare which was watch three movies in the period of 24 hours. I can go months without watching three movies. And they are all from different decades. The following are not really reviews but just my thoughts and spoiler free.





1) Treasure of the Sierra Madre. (1948)

I love Maltese Falcon and Casablanca. I like African Queen and I thought it was high time I finally saw this Humphrey Bogart
movie. Down and out Americans try to find their fortune while enduring weather, bandits and each other. Story reminded me a bit of the original Oceans 11 (yes there was one) and Lord of the Flies. Great story. Also one of the rare times a son directs his father.



2) Shopgirl (2005)

I have always been a Steve Martin fan. Ever since I first saw him on the Muppet Show in the 70s and mistook him for Han Solo. Then listening to his genius stand up comedy. This is a relationship movie but brutal enough not to be a "chick flick. " Clare Danes is no one's knockout babe but so what? She was believable in her role and looked good enough in the scenes where she wears a dress. Speaking of relationship movies with grey areas.....



3) Sleep With Me (1994)


I first read about this movie in my Roger Ebert movie guide. There was a scene with Quentin Tarantino talking about the alternative meaning to a certain Hollywood blockbuster from years past. That video will one day accompany this blog but not today. The movie does quite well in my opinion without that popular scene. If you have been ever uncomfortable in your life with a couple "making a scene" in a party with friends well this movie is about 90% compromised of that. Who is right? Who is wrong? Who started it? Actually what made me uncomfortable watching this movie was everybody smoking so much I had to check if my T Shirt was still ok. Little play also on the famous song lyrics from Casablanca (There is Bogart again). A cameo from a certain Lost in Space in star for those of you into that kind of thing.

Epilogue:

All I can say is to appreciate movies or just about anything else, you will have to read about them and not rely on massive studio funded campaigns. Look for good stories and good characters and not Michael Bay type explosions. Good movies are timeless. Two of the above were "relationship" movies but in my opinion not the type that make teen-aged girls flock to the cinema armed with Kleenex boxes. One last thing. Bogart Rules!!!




Ed


http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0040897/ (1948)



http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0338427/ (Shopgirl) (2005)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0111218/ (1994) Sleep With Me





No comments: