Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Counting Your Chickens Before They Hatch





"You're so vain you probably think this song is about you. "

- Carly Simon link



There is someone I know in Facebook. Vain does not begin to describe her. You might be asking why I am posting this in case she reads it. I am confident in saying, she reads nothing. The truly vain usually look at mirrors and rarely at books or rarely at anything more than two sentences long. Why spend money on books when you can spend it on makeup?

I was looking at her recent postings and noticed her surname has been transformed. She decided to change her name in Facebook to her married name. Well since married is past tense let's call it future married name. I asked if she is married and the answer is no. Don't count your chickens before they hatch has been a saying that makes sense to me. Maybe I'm old fashioned and I believe that sometimes the insides have to change before you change the outside. To do otherwise is to tempt fate.

More on my thoughts on vanity, here. I believe that marriage does mean something and all this last name metamorphosis should be announced after and not before. But based on my experience vanity overrides any sense of protocol and tradition.

For your enjoyment and enlightenment on our topic today I have included two very short videos.

1) How foolish some people sound to others when they obsess over their future married name. 44 seconds from the movie "Big"

2) The dangers of assuming. As told so poetically by the late great Dolph Sweet. 32 seconds.











technical note: if the videos don't appear, please click here.


Ed



http://cornholiogogs.multiply.com/journal/item/704/Its_Better_To_Look_Good_Than_To_Be_Good

http://cornholiogogs.multiply.com/journal/item/985/Vanity_talk_Audio_Blog

http://cornholiogogs.multiply.com/tag/vanity












No comments: