Monday, December 8, 2008

Anybody Else Find this Disturbing Thank You Inquirer Part 2

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/pageoneimage/

For those of you who missed Part 1

http://cornholiogogs.multiply.com/journal/item/423/Anyone_Else_Find_this_Disturbing_-_again_Pinoys_lack_of_perspective_Thank_You_Inquirer

I think I am perfectly qualified to talk about this. I love sports but hope I put them in proper perspective. If any of you saw this headline this morning then thought of my Part 1 of this Article then I hope I am reaching some of you. For those of you who live abroad or maybe did not see this paper, I wish I was making this up and we can all laugh. But it's real!! Our media has not lost it. They never had it. We have a disastrous shootout here last Friday and no one cares. I had to treasure hunt for it in the Inquirer page buried underneath the Manny Mania. We had another journalist killed last week and nobody cares.Here was a guy bringing news of value not of some boxer and he paid for it with his life. Farmer killed in Negros last week and nobody cares. Filipino beating up a Mexican American in his mid thirties and the Inquirer for some reason wants to move up the birthday of Jesus Christ 18 days. My gosh those guys are morons! Anybody who last week thought I was pushing it probably is thinking twice about that.

As my regulars know I love to goof around but I will get serious on things like this. Why ? Reminds me of something Bruce Springsteen once sung:

Outside the street's on fire
In a real death waltz
Between what's flesh and what's fantasy
And the poets down here
Don't write nothing at all
They just stand back and let it all be
And in the quick of the night
They reach for their moment
And try to make an honest stand
But they wind up wounded
Not even dead
Tonight in Jungleland

Do you think it applies here?? Merry Christmas because a Mexican got beat to a pulp? Somebody justify to me why this equates to the birth of our Lord? Why Merry Christmas as a headline Inquirer?

OK so Manny beat up on a 35 year old who some thought was past his prime. Why Merry Christmas? Manny's victory plus 125 pesos will get you a Champ Burger Meal at Jollibee. That's it!!! Rewind to my earlier post that this so called dream match was not the fiscal windfall most people thought it was.

In this country Manny is the Opiate of the masses . That's why all the politicians love him. He is their smoke screen to do whatever they want. As a football, videogame , movie junkie I can understand the need for escapism. But not to the extent that all critical thought and discourse is nowhere to be found in this country but this hoopla is. What this is, is stupidity masking bigger stupidity.

A long time ago I went to church that I normally did not go to. I got off work on a Sunday afternoon and missed two earlier services and went to latest one. There Fr. Mcloud said that a frog will jump out of hot water if you toss him in but if you let him swim around in normal water then slowly boil that, he will remain to cook. Obi Wan Kenobi said " Who is more foolish, the fool or the fool who follows him?" Our electorate and our politicians are truly made for each other. But I won't stand back and let it all be. Send this link to your contacts. If you don't like what I wrote but feel the same way then write something better and send that link. If you disagree with me then at least you heard me out.

Ed

No comments: