Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Interpersonal Relationship Lessons From A Show About A Serial Killer







"all the homes that we were building
we never lived in
could be better (could be better), should be better
lessons in love
if we lose the time before us
the future will ignore us
we should use it, we could use it
lessons in love "
- Level 42





The crazy little thing about lessons in love is you never know where you will find them. There is a scene in the TV show Dexter where




suspect Christine Hill


and





Detective Debra Morgan discuss "Daddy Issues".



I don't know about you but there are times in my life that I have felt betrayed. Like a lot of things in my life and in this blog, maybe it's just me. Any relationship in life is based on balance. Where both parties are comfortable with expectations. When that balance is upset, I believe is what brings forth the feelings of betrayal. Like what we used to do as kids. Marty and I would play on the seesaw and when I was up at the highest point my brother would leave his seesaw seat only to have me crashing down.



Now in adulthood it seems like at times other adults have done the emotional seesaw with me. Leaving the seat only to have me on the other side, in a position of trust crashing down. I do not rule out that I may have also done it to others.

Debra in the two minute video explains how reaching equilibrium freed her. It may not be right or it may not be wrong. But in the past, that is how I coped. No more seeking approval from someone you were not going to get it from. Those times I have coped , I achieved equilibrium all right. By matching levels of apathy. Maybe it's a cynic's version of "If you love something let it go free. If it doesn't come back, you never had it. "



"No one can make you feel inferior without your consent"- Eleanor Roosevelt


I am sure we all have our different interpretations of that quote. At times when you feel down and are blaming it on someone else. How you would feel better if they felt differently about you. Remember the Roosevelt quote and remember the two minute climax to the movie Labyrinth which I have included below.

As usual thanks for reading. As for "Daddy Issues" any resemblance between that show and my life is probably a product of your imagination, or mine.

Ed










http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmgmXgoBZFo ( No power )

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=17350589 (Level 42)


http://www.sho.com/site/dexter/home.do

http://cornholiogogs.multiply.com/journal/item/1197/Interpersonal_Relationship_Lessons_From_A_Show_About_A_Serial_Killer_







No comments: