Friday, October 24, 2008

Wisdom of Tug


"Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey.
The other ten percent I'll probably waste."
- Phillies pitcher Tug McGraw , on his plans for his $75,000 salary

I used this quote to begin my presentation back in the days when I was trying to sell myself as a financial adviser. Unfortunately Tug left us 10 years after I started using this quote. When it was announced that there was a tribute set for him in Philadelphia my thoughts returned to this character. You may know his son even if you are not a baseball fan . Tim McGraw is a country music star who is married to Faith Hill. The picture you see here is the only time a World Series ended in 100 plus years with a Philadelphia team victorious. Tug was the last one to throw a pitch that guaranteed a Philly team win the World Series. I hope this turns out to be a good series. There are more links at the end for those that need to read more.

Ed

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20235670,00.html

Tug McGraw Quotes
Quotes From & About Tug McGraw

Quotes From Tug McGraw
"I dunno. I never smoked any Astroturf." - Asked for a preference of grass or Astroturf

"I have no trouble with the twelve inches between my elbow and my palm. It's the seven inches between my ears that's bent."

"Kids should practice autographing baseballs. This is a skill that's often overlooked in Little League."

"Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish Whiskey. The other ten percent I'll probably waste."

"Ten million years from now, when then sun burns out and the Earth is just a frozen iceball hurtling through space, nobody's going to care whether or not I got this guy out."

"They say that was the slowest fastball (Game 6 of the 1980 World Series thrown to Willie Wilson) ever thrown in Philadelphia. It took ninety-seven years to get there. Those memories are strong, still fresh and still a lot of fun to share with people who care about the Phillies." (2002 Spring Training Camp)

"Ya Gotta Believe!" (1973 regular season rally cry)

Quotes About Tug McGraw
"He was full of life, love and spirit. His death is a reality check for us, just like when Tommie (Agee) died a couple of years ago. His passing drives home to me that you have to value every second that you are on this earth." - former Mets teammate Buddy Harrelson (on January 5, 2004)

"He was my childhood hero. When Mike Piazza came to the Mets a couple of years ago I took Tug's number to honor him. Growing up in Brooklyn I was a Mets fan mainly because of him. To me he was the essence of what a relief pitcher was all about. I'll never forget a couple of years ago when the team honored me after my four-hundredth save he rode in from centerfield on a motorcycle to greet me on the mound. He was one of a kind." - Mets closer John Franco (on January 5, 2004)

"I am so, so saddened. I don't really know how to compose myself. He was like a son to us. He was someone very special. He touched everybody he came in contact with. He made believers out of all of us. Tug was someone so special." - Joan Hodges, widow of former Mets manager Gil Hodges (on January 5, 2004)

"It's hard to lose anybody, but to lose somebody like Tug is devastating. Losing him is like losing a superhero because he's one of the most charismatic people I've ever met. We've immortalized him and it's a sad reminder that bad things happen to good people." - Phillies left-hander Randy Wolf (on January 5, 2004)

"The guy was a consummate professional on the mound, but he relaxed in his own way. He had his own way of doing things. There are more than one way to do things and Tug certainly had his own way. He was always ready. I think the one thing that might be the greatest legacy that you can have as a teammate is to be always be ready and Tug was." - former Phillies teammate Tim McCarver (on January 5, 2004)

"Tug and I drove to the ballpark together before that final game (Game 6 of the 1980 World Series) and I made him promise that if he was on the mound for that final out to wait for me. Both of us knew whoever was on or near that mound for the final out would probably be on the cover of Sports Illustrated. Sure enough, it worked. Tug struck out (Willie) Wilson and then turned to look at me at third base. Of course I came running in and jumped on him." - Mike Schmidt (2001)

"Tug got more out of his time on earth than anyone could imagine. I have the photo of Tug allowing me to jump in his arms following the last out of the 1980 World Series on my wall. I will take it with me this summer, hang it on my office for all to see, and look at it a split second longer each day." - Former Phillies teammate Mike Schmidt (on January 5, 2004)

"Tug McGraw was the epitome of what Philadelphia was all about - a hard worker, dedicated, he never gave up. The picture of him jumping off the mound after the last out (of the 1980 World Series) is one of the most memorable moments in Phillies history. He was truly a great person, and he'll be sorely missed." - Phillies manager Larry Bowa (on January 5, 2004)

"We had a lot of good times on and off the field. He was inspirational, had a lot of fun, was a happy-go-lucky guy. He lived life to the fullest. He was a fighter. He has been fighting all year. He didn't want to give up. Every time I saw him he had a positive attitude. He was flamboyant, excitable extroverted, he would do anything for a laugh. I'm going to miss him. He was full of life." - former Mets teammate Ed Kranepool (on January 5, 2004)

recap of game 3

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081025&content_id=3643799&vkey=ps2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb


The sad death of Tug McGraw

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1031033/index.htm



No comments: