Thursday, October 2, 2008

I Gave Into Temptation





to go to confession. This was Wednesday Oct 1. I did not plan on it but the idea creeped into my consciousness almost like a subtle temptation. Well I was already in the church but still, its not something I do often enough. Some people admit to the weirdest things and this can be weird if you want it to be weird. The reason I thought I would write about this is because there are some of you other there who may not have gone since high school and I am here to tell you it's fine to go. Nothing you fear will happen to you. Just be sincere and examine your deeds against the Ten Commandments. Believe me , there 's a lot to examine with me. My college aged cousin was behind me in line by sheer coincidence. I apologized in advance in case mine goes into the afternoon. Heck I know perfection does not dwell in me and the more I need to go. Maybe I find it easier than most because when I was in Grade 7 the opportunity to go was weekly . Yes it was an Opus Dei school. Still it drilled in me that to leave anything out defeats the reason for going. It's our chance to come clean with God. Please read below for more specifics on confession and some depictions of it. What started out as a small anecdote became one of the more diverse articles I have compiled.

We are human and we are sinners. Confession helps us get closer to God. And that is something I need.

Ed

Off the top of my head I can remember four confession scenes.

a) an episode of Streets of San Francisco

The Streets of San Francisco: For the Love of God
Stone (Karl Malden)and Keller (Michael Douglas) spring into action when a priest is killed in his Confessional. It turns out that the victim had attended the same seminary as three other priests who were murdered in similar fashion. To root out the killer, Stone goes undercover, donning the collar and robe of a Roman Catholic prelate. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

b) an episode of Moonlighting " All Creatures Great... and Not So Great" (1986)

Richard Beymer guest stars as Father McDonovan, a priest who thinks he's fallen in love. The object of his affections is a woman whom he has never seen, but whose voice he has heard in Confession on a weekly basis. Private eyes David (Bruce Willis) and Maddie (Cybill Shepherd) are brought into the situation when the woman announces her intention to commit suicide--then disappears! Jessica Harper appears as the "mystery" woman, who turns out to have more than a few surprises up her sleeve.

c) The Mask of Zorro

d) Godfather III

If you have never seen one or can't even remember what it's like this scene pretty much sums it up. What one goes thorough. Notice the tough Michael is not so tough and that humility is what I believe what makes the sacrament what it is.

Michael is not there to confess, he is just there to talk about Immobiliare. Yet he is talked into confession by Cardinal Lamberto. Please click here for a nice interpretation of this scene . As much fear as confession seems to generate Cardinal Lamberto is correct. You have nothing to lose by having yours heard. It was not easy for him as we see. Still it's not supposed to be easy. It's an exercise. We are still getting the good part of the deal . We must be humble before the Lord and understand where we are wrong.

http://cornholiogogs.multiply.com/video/item/7/Michael_Corleone_Confesses_

MICHAEL: I trusted this business arrangement with the archbishop. I trusted him. I was sure his honestly was beyond a doubt. But, as you can see, I am now the victim of a swindle. He's stalling me. Vast money has gone to the pezzonovante in high political places, and the Vatican Bank is the guarantor.

LAMBERTO: If what you say is true, there will be a great scandal.



LAMBERTO: Look at this stone. It has been lying in the water for a very long time, but the water has not penetrated it.


LAMBERTO: Look. Perfectly dry. The same has happened to men in Europe. For centuries, they have been surrounded by Christianity, but Christ has not penetrated. Christ does not live within them.


LAMBERTO: What's happened?



MICHAEL: Is it possible that you could get me something sweet? Orange juice, anything, candy?

Lamberto quickly requests some juice and candy to be brought to the garden.

MICHAEL: I have a little trouble with diabetes. Blood sugar goes low.

LAMBERTO: I understand.



MICHAEL: When I'm under stress, sometimes this happens.

LAMBERTO: I understand.



MICHAEL: To come to you on such a delicate matter, accusations against your archbishop. It was difficult for me.


LAMBERTO: The mind suffers, and the body cries out.

Michael nods. If this man only knew the torment he feels every single day…

MICHAEL: This is true.



LAMBERTO: Would you like to make your confession?



MICHAEL: Your Eminence, I'm… It's been so long. I wouldn't know where to… It's been 30 years. I'd use up too much of your time, I think.

Lamberto warmly smiles at Michael. He truly is a good man that wants to do anything to ease Michael's pain.

LAMBERTO: I always have time to save souls.



MICHAEL: Well, I'm… beyond redemption.



LAMBERTO: I hear the confessions of my own priests here. Sometimes the desire to confess is overwhelming, and we must seize the moment.



MICHAEL: What is the point of confessing if I don't repent?

LAMBERTO: I hear you are a practical man. What have you got to lose, huh?



LAMBERTO: Go on.


MICHAEL: I… betrayed my wife.

Lamberto nods.

LAMBERTO: Go on, my son.



MICHAEL: I… betrayed myself… I killed men. And I ordered men to be killed.

LAMBERTO: Go on, my son. Go on.



MICHAEL: Ahh… it's useless.



LAMBERTO: Go on, my son.



MICHAEL: I killed… I ordered the death of my brother… He injured me.


MICHAEL: I killed my mother's son.

MICHAEL: I killed my father's son.



LAMBERTO: Your sins are terrible, and it is just that you suffer.


http://www.mediafire.com/?jgtmqnx5enz

***************************************************************************

The Catholic Church's definition of confession here:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/11618c.htm

Penance is a sacrament of the New Law instituted by Christ in which forgiveness of sins committed after baptism is granted through the priest's absolution to those who with true sorrow confess their sins and promise to satisfy for the same. It is called a "sacrament" not simply a function or ceremony, because it is an outward sign instituted by Christ to impart grace to the soul. As an outward sign it comprises the actions of the penitent in presenting himself to the priest and accusing himself of his sins, and the actions of the priest in pronouncing absolution and imposing satisfaction. This whole procedure is usually called, from one of its parts, "confession", and it is said to take place in the "tribunal ofpenance", because it is a judicial process in which the penitent is at once the accuser, the person accused, and the witness, while the priest pronounces judgment and sentence. The grace conferred is deliverance from the guilt of sin and, in the case of mortal sin, from its eternal punishment; hence also reconciliation with God, justification. Finally, the confession is made not in the secrecy of the penitent's heart nor to a layman as friend and advocate, nor to a representative of human authority, but to a duly ordained priest with requisite jurisdiction and with the "power of the keys", i.e., the power to forgive sins which Christ granted to His Church.

Here is a reward for those who have read this far. I can say this without guilt because a priest who said Mass in North Forbes once used it to cap off his sermon. I approached him after and told him that too bad no one appreciated it. I did not laugh because I have been telling the same joke twenty years.

Four irish priests board a train for a long journey to a church council conference. Shortly into the trip, one priest says "Well, we've all worked together for many years, but don't really know one another. I suggest we tell each other one of our sins." They look nervously at each other but nod OK. The first irish priest says "Since I suggested it, I'll go first. With me it's the drink. Once a year I take off my collar and go out of town to a pub and drink myself blind for a few days. Get it out of my system." They all look each other again nervously, but the next irish priest slowly starts "Wellll......with me, it's gambling. Periodically, I nick the money out of the poor box and go to the races. Spend it all! I get it out of my system." The third, who is really nervous now reluctantly says "This is very difficult. My sin is worse. I take off my collar and go into the red light district, pick out a lass, and spend a week in the saddle. I REEEEAAALY get it out of my system." They all look at the fourth irish priest waiting. He doesn't say anything. Then one of the four speaks up "Come now, we've all told our innermost faults. It's your turn." He looks at the others and starts hesitantly "Welllllll..... I'm an inveterate gossip, and I can't wait to get off this train!"


No comments: