Monday, August 2, 2010

Why Word of Mouth Is Important






Those of you who know me, know that I have miles to go before I sleep tonight and the next 3 nights. But I must share this with you. I love music which is no surprise. For a lot of people what they know about music consists of saturation play on variety shows, popular radio and music videos. As Manny Pacquiao's favorite poet said "Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference." I read about music and I talked about music with people with different tastes.

Tom Waits he of the gravely voice and the demented melodies was one such musician I would never appreciate if I relied on the radio alone. Google him since I must get back to what I am supposed to be doing. I just want to tell you about Fraser Hannah. Have not spoken to him in about 21 years but he left with me a love for Tom Waits that obviously lasted. We met in Philosophy class in the Langara campus of Vancouver Community College. I would give him rides from Dunbar into school. He made for me what was known back then as a "mixed tape" of Tom Waits. I slowly bought Tom Waits CDs till I owned about 11 of them.

More on him on another post. But the Ipod player in the bathroom is currently playing its 3rd consecutive Tom Waits album. First was Closing Time , then Rain Dogs and now Swordfishtrombones. I got LSS with the song I have included in the video. Just Another Sucker On The Vine. Which is actually a duet. Tom plays the harmonium which is like a sit-down accordion. He is foiled by Joe Romano on Trumpet. The resulting song is delicate and beautiful. Which is ironic because like I said earlier some of his stuff is downright demented, which is what I love about him.

I also discovered an alternate version in which the artist (not Waits) plays the song with several stringed instruments. Please tell him you loved his work if you did. Here in YouTube. I tried to and it did not register.

Why is word of mouth important? You would not be appreciating this lovely melody without it.


Ed

If you don't see the videos go here.


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZrIBoCtod4&feature=related

http://cornholiogogs.multiply.com/journal/item/1170/Why_Word_of_Mouth_Is_Important











No comments: