Thursday, October 11, 2018

Do You Really Listen To Music?







Do You Really Listen To Music?   Of course everyone thinks that they do. I remember very clearly a night in the fall of the 1983 listening to Side 2 of Springsteen's Born to Run and bring so out of breath at the end (Jungleland is the last song on Side 2) and just saying thank you rhetorically to Bruce and the band.  That was my first time to hear most of the songs on there. My story has nothing on this guy. When you really listen to really good music it is all over you and you are somewhere else. I doubt anybody tried to do a film/ video dramatization of this song nor should they. Just listen to it the same way I did. Put on headphones and just you and the band. Really listen to the music . 









Memory
Funny, I played this song on my "ghetto-blaster" on a caleche ride in Old Montreal, on my first date with a beautiful young lady named Donna, back in May of 1984. We had tickets to see The Boss in August (Born in the USA), and I wanted to introduce her to Bruce in an intimate and memorable setting. I think we both teared (and hugged) listening to the song - one of those unexpected yet understandable emotional reactions to the sounds and poetic verses of a man you know is prophetic. Riding around beatiful Montreal on a horse-drawn carriage at night with the proclaiming and stirring sounds of Bruce Springsteen all seemed so cool and so right! So, on the night I proposed I borrowed a "limo" (my mom's Civic!) and drove down to Old Montreal. I played Jungleland on the car's cassette deck (pretending to play the local radio). Well that just set the mood, along with a chain of events which would end up with Donna saying, "yes"! That was back in 1991. We've had 3 kids and 2 dogs since, and last summer we were lucky enough to see Bruce (again!) in Montreal; he closed with Jungleland, and we embraced as we smiled and cheered (and wept).



https://songmeanings.com/songs/view/149531/ 






No comments: