Sunday, October 28, 2018

A Halloween Todd Schindler Memory



Back in 1987 I met Todd Schindler.      I have not seen him or heard from him since the late 90s. Yet some of his stories still resonate with me.

This particular story goes back to Todd's time in an IGA grocery in Hamilton, Ontario. I used to remember the name of his funny ( intentionally or unintentionally ) co -worker known for the phrase " we are here to make money". It might come to me eventually.

One day a female customer came to this co-worker looking for a particular canned soup called Scarios.



The clerk then replied that he was sorry since that soup was unavailable but they did have product from the same line called Alpha-Getti. Which I imagine would be the exact same thing except a different shaped cutter was used to generate letters instead of ghosts and goblins.






The customer then replies to the clerk with a curve ball " But I want to be scared when I eat."

Most of us at this point would throw our hands in the air and try to explain logically that they were physically constituted the same or whatever route. But our grocery clerk protagonist was undaunted. His reply:

" Pretend you are scared."


No comments: