Monday, April 19, 2010

Conviction Part 1




Yes, another elections inspired piece. Once in a while I pay attention in Church. Thanks to my Bible in my Ipod , I can really pay attention when I go to a place without missals or when the mass is in Espanol. As Bill Cosby once said "If you're not careful, you might learn something before it's done" I came across these passages that struck me in my mass last Saturday.




Acts 5:40 (King James Version)

40 And to him they agreed: and when they had called the apostles, and beaten them, they commanded that they should not speak in the name of Jesus, and let them go.

Acts 5:41 (King James Version)

41 And they departed from the presence of the council, rejoicing that they were counted worthy to suffer shame for his name.

The Apostles took what should have been a moment of pain, humiliation, betrayal and bitterness and instead chose to see it a badge of honor. They truly exemplify, its not what happens to you but how you react to it what counts. Only you choose how you see your situation.

In my last ten years of living here, there have always been people who have astounded me with me their fanaticism for politicians. Their fever pitch support. There are no role models in Filipino politics. I bet the closer one is to being a role model, the farther back they are in the polls. My family is filled with people who support a candidate who I already defined as Wallpaper. Just there. Who the heck gets fanatical over wall paper? The guy has not earned his followers by his actions. He has his followers because of his last name. If the guy's last name was De Los Reyes and he had his identical resume , these groupies would just laugh at him. Another argument I always hear is about his opponent. A guy whose followers seem to exist of whores. As in people enamored by his record spending. This is what we are reduced to. Vote for somebody who has done nothing because of his last name and because you don't like his rival. It does not matter if he can't lead his way out of a paper bag. And people believe we are not screwed up.

I am convinced that supporters of Wall Paper believe it is an honor when they face the taunts of cynics like me when we question what has Wall Paper ever done? My father once told me "What are you going to believe? What you hear or what you see?" . Granted I don't see him putting up any resistance to the family's fanatics of Wall Paper.

The Bible has been around 2000 years and will be around for longer than that. Because it also talks about human nature. I know that is not going anywhere.


Ed




http://cornholiogogs.multiply.com/journal/item/1065/What_A_Lame_Campaign_Noynoy_Related


http://cornholiogogs.multiply.com/journal/item/913/Riding_the_Momentum_of_Death


http://cornholiogogs.multiply.com/notes


http://cornholiogogs.multiply.com/notes/item/47







No comments: