Monday, June 11, 2018

Stop Making Sense



There is this teacher at work who I have usually been neighbors with in terms of our stations. He can hear me and I can hear him. Gifted teacher who a lot about a lot of things. Anyway there was this unspoken agreement between us that we help each other out if we hear gaffes in each other's lessons. When needed we send each other typewritten messages over the chat program.


Yesterday one of the topics in one of his lessons was pirates. He was telling his students about two popular groups of Pirates ( at least in Japan). One Piece is a very popular anime in Japan. The other group he mentioned was the very popular  Michael Bay franchise: Pirates of the Carribean. I heard my teacher friend say that Pirates of the Carribean group is more realistic than the One Piece group. He implied that Carribean group could even exist in the real world. I replied using our message system and you can see what transpired below.




I was trying to give him helpful information that in my eyes was correct. My teacher friend is an expert in Japanese culture maybe at the expense of knowledge that you and I might take for granted. What did he do?  See that "messaging disabled" it meant that after the last typed message he unfriended me in Skype because apparently he is allergic to facts and accurate information.  And to think I used to buy the guy drinks after work.


 There is nothing wrong with not watching the POC movie series but to me there is something wrong with making blanket statements about it that are factually wrong. I have not actually seen any of the movies in 11 years but I did enjoy the first three. If I recall the ships in the movie were captained by characters that were technically dead like Barbossa, Davy Jones  and Will Turner. Dead in the human sense but alive enough to function in that world.  Davy Jones is a sailor legend who has "come to life".   There is  even a psychedelic scene with Crabs that is available below.






Sorry to my teacher friend but the scenarios in the POC series are not happening in the modern world anytime soon. Why did I write this?? The moral of the story is you can help somebody who is trying to come across as an expert while he uses incorrect examples. You try to give him a better perspective and he will repay you by cutting you off.


No comments: